Thursday, February 08, 2007

It is cold and Charlie Brooker despises me.
or
"Why has this rubbish aspirational ornament got only one mouse button?"

Point One: It is cold. If you don't believe me then just look at the picture. (The Loch Ness Monster is just for scale.) Moreover, I live up a big hill, so that in the words of our charming neighbours the house is "above the snowline we call it the snowline don't we it's more like the highlands than Yorkshire." So it's colder than everywhere else, though maybe Edinburgh folk can disagree.

Before getting to points two and three, a challenge: look carefully at the photo. At the back you can see the aforementioned neighbours' interesting shed, a marvellous concoction which stays in one piece despite being made entirely of roofing felt. However, slightly closer you can see another outhouse. What do you think it is? Remember that I live in the north of England and appeal to your knowledge of cliche, but don't mention whippets.

Point Two: I have a pretty new computer! It's a Mac laptop thingy, and it's lovely. If you don't believe me then just look at the picture. It does more or less everything I could want, especially by allowing me to blog! Also it lets me bluetooth pictures from my phone, hence the poor quality of this post's illustrations. It is so much fun.

Point Three: Charlie Brooker, of whom regular readers will know that I am not a small fan, hates Macs and the people who own them. If you don't believe me then just follow the link. I like to think that this is entirely to do with the questionable adverts featuring Mitchell and Webb, but maybe he really does hate me. Never mind though: the aforementioned ornament will mean an increase in (no-longer-non-seriousness-shame-inhibited) blogging, which can only mean more fun for you, my readers. Aw.

9 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger Mark said...

Well, this particular outhouse is made of brick, and it's probably quite well built....

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Mark said...

And what happened to your old laptop?


(There! Satisfied, Mr Moaning-about-getting-no-comments?)

 
At 9:13 PM, Blogger Richard said...

The old laptop stopped working a long time ago. Your information is outdated.

Your first comment is not at all clear. What are you trying to say?

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Mark said...

My information is not outdated. I was completely unaware of the fate of your previous laptop (and what did you do to the poor thing?). As I had no information, it could not be outdated - only actual information that has been superceded could be considered outdated.

As as for my first comment, if you have failed to glean anything from my enigmatic clues...then I'm not surprised.

 
At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello topologist,

the more i concentrate on writing my thesis the less i know i can include in it. why's that, according to your previous experience?

how interesting, these days i talk only about my work and about work, how bored wrenny will be tomorrow when she sees me....

smile on and dream on!

 
At 5:15 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Wanyu, writing things is always so hard. You understand all of these interesting things, but getting them onto the page sounding like they might interest someone else is the hardest thing.

Press on! Theses are tough things. I wish we could do them twice because the second one would always be a doddle.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger impermissible wanyĆ¼ said...

at this very moment i can almost say i really feel i can enjoy the process of writing my thesis...

i think i also need to keep in mind that i should not force others to find it interesting what i found so. i must keep this in mind. thank you richard for the response. appreciate that. :)

 
At 11:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I suppose you are wanting us all to come up with some crass and crude explanation for your brick outhouse. Perhaps the thunderbox (as eluded to by Mark already)?

But we all know that it is some kind of potting shed, cause after whippet fancying, that's all one does in Yorkshire. Right?

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

P.S. Sorry if I am "inadvertently put your finger on the dark fear haunting their feeble, quivering soul" with this comment, but I do have to agree with the man Brooker on one point whilst berating him with another. He claims that losing "that second mouse button is like losing a limb". Well, as all we Unix / Linux afficianados know, a two button mouse is already flawed; how am I supposed to copy and paste without the third mouse button?! He says the Mac is like an activity centre for children -- a view often expressed in the past by myself -- and yet I imagine when he implies that PCs are for people who know how to use a computer, he is talking about a windows PC. What a twat.

Incidentally he could have just mentioned the fact that under linux, there is no PC virus anymore and he'd have seen (as we, the *nix community already do) how pointless the whole "I'm a PC with a virus" act is.

Right, 'nuff said methinks.

< /rant>

 

Post a Comment

<< Home