Thursday, December 07, 2006

Hedgehog!

Observe the Great British Hedgehog in its natural habitat -- our back garden! Well, in true Sheffield terraced housing style, there is just one garden shared between us and our neighbours, divided only by the path between the two lawns, so technically he's snuffling around in the neighbours' half. Anyway, he showed up a couple of weeks ago to stomp around looking for dinner before hedgehogging off down the passage between the houses ... towards the road! God speed you Hedgey, noble beast, prickler of hands and bearer of ticks!

Note for the unaware: "hedgehog!" should be said as it is heard in Bob's Guide To Housework.

Meanwhile, God willing, or at least if the nation's grandmothers are too sherried-up by saturday teatime to dial in and vote for him, this post will be my last chance to complain about song-slaying junior freakshow Ray off The X-Factor. Ask no questions about why I watch the X-Factor -- the enslaved by television post will be along soon -- and just concentrate on the fact that from an array of twelve more-or-less talented hopefuls, this bizarre concoction has survived to the last three. In the words of Screen Burn, Ray is a "jigging, Brylcreemed cross between a ventriloquist's dummy and a screaming otter foetus who hits every note with a hammer". Please tune in to this week's semi-final and direct bad vibes his way. Or at least punch him in your dreams.

12 Comments:

At 1:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hedgehog=broddgöltur. I therefore suggest the name Broddi (Spiky) for the little guy. Then next time we meet
Broddi can play with Depill, our mouse :D

About watching the TV, well someone has to fill in for Stefán. One of his programs was indeed X-factor, but only the first programs and then we watched the final show with the mandatory incallling and crying as our guy lost.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Richard said...

OK then, Broddi it is. I'll call him by name tonight and see if he turns up for some cat food.

I don't think Stefan ever watched as much television as I do now. Nor, for that matter, have I! It's a bit of a nightmare, really. I need to cut down. Maybe I can go to some meetings to cure me.

 
At 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear you are allowed to divide by zero now in Britain. Is it not a bliss?

 
At 7:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Depill only eats organic food, but the good thing is that the Californians sell organic dog and cat food.

So, do we have a play date?

 
At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll always remember being at my cousins house when i was yonger and shooting ground hogs with a 22. It was really fun, when the stick their heads up out of the ground you shoot at them.

Are you able to do this with hedgehogs?

 
At 7:06 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Is Ray what you get if you divide by zero?

 
At 6:32 PM, Blogger Richard said...

I think Ray is far worse than what you get by dividing by zero. After all, even 1/0 would have had the good grace to sod off after the semi-finals, but no, Ray has to hang around like the smell of bad hair pomade.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Dave, you could try to do that but it's probably illegal. At least I hope it is. Please tell me that you're a spot-on shooter like Robert De Niro in The Deer Hunter, and that there isn't a colony of half-brainblown groundhogs gimping around somewhere in the Canadian wilderness.

 
At 3:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're on! Is the mouse cute?

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does that make me an Ent-wife? (reference to earlier post) I know I sometimes think David has the listening skills of a tree, but not a Canadian maple or anything noble and admirable. For the record I don't think he is that good of a shot but he does have the tendency to surprise us all.

 
At 8:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was rather surprised.

 
At 12:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello little groundhog. Would you be so kind as to step this way please... hey! Do you know half'f your spectral head's missin'?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home