Thursday, June 08, 2006

Days spent with the grass and sun, in the office, on the phone.

Do you know what doesn't grind my gears?

Sometimes I agree with Dave's rants. Not the ones about customer service, but to whinge about posties, for example, is righteous. However, I now have to weigh in with an anti-rant. On tuesday I toolishly left my mobile on the bus. I assumed that it would be lost forever, was annoyed with myself, then got excited at the prospect of being able to buy a shiny new one. But no! The driver actually called Archibald (first in my phone book) telling him that my phone was in lost property; a trip to the top of Leith Walk and a two pound charge later, and I am reunited with my phone.

Three worrying things come from this: First, that I was quite anxious about not having my phone (I am only a recent convert, previously opposed to the things), and may have become dependent. Second, that in my two days of phonelack I didn't get a single message (boo!). Third, that I now can't hate Lothian Bus Drivers with every fibre of my being. True, most of them are miserablist gits who spend their workday trying to skittle the elderly onto their arses by braking sharply, but at least one of them is a kindly soul. Grr!


New Office

Right. I now have a new office. They moved me, and now it's permanent. This one feels a little bit bare, but it does have a slightly nicer view, and thank god it doesn't have one of these things spewing out heat and noise at my tired brain.
There's lots of unpacking type stuff to be done, but it doesn't seem worth it quite yet. It also has a whiteboard which keeps getting randomly decorated by my very many friends. Any small amount of maths on it gets hideously derided, while several senior members of staff (including the head of school) have seemed to quite like the pictures...


Summer Music
In deference to the lovely weather, which has finally arrived after weeks of gruelling malaise, I have been listening to Since I Left You by The Avalanches. This is probably the summeriest record I own, and one of few that I can forgive for being more than an hour long. But then on the bus my mind drifted to circa 1995, to Wake Up, Boo!, Staying Out For The Summer, and Supergrass arriving at Glastonbury via helicopter. Those were the days, eh? I like to think that my music taste has changed in the last ten years, but still reminiscing is nice, right?

6 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you decide after all this that you'd still like a shiny new one and need an excuse, you could just pop your phone into your handbag with a wet umbrella. This should stuff it sufficiently...

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger jennywren said...

I dropped my phone yesterday and it jammed but unfortunately (does that have an 'e' in it?) when I took the battery out and put it in again it started working again. Damnit. I want my phone to die!

 
At 1:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I´m gonna miss the wall decoration hehehe

there is a mysterious parcel on your way ... it must be eaten at once after opening

Kveðja
Dagmar

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

Can we have a shot of the whiteboard please? Go on, you know you want to....

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Well, I kind of censored it, but there is a fair bit of shite left on it. See the Things To Do.

 
At 11:15 AM, Blogger Ólafía said...

I want a whiteboard, but I guess I'll get one once I get a real office.
Now it's less than a month till my arrival in Scotland

 

Post a Comment

<< Home