Sunday, April 16, 2006

East Angular


Last weekend I went with my mum to Southwold (in Suffolk, East Anglia) to visit my Grandmother. If you've never seen it mentioned in every sunday supplement ever printed, Southwold is a pleasant seaside town with lots of pleasant retired inhabitants and a very clean and pleasant beach.

Good Things About The Trip:
1) Seeing my Gran.
2) Seeing the cats.
3) Bracing walks and seaside air.
4) Successfully fixing a wheelbarrow. (Despite my impractical desk-bound occupation I am in fact capable of minor practical tasks.)

Bad Things About The Trip:
1) Getting covered in cat hair.
2) The pleasant seaside air was bloody freezing.
3) I failed to fix the other wheelbarrow.
4) My lack of stealth and lumbering mathematician's gait robbed me of the chance to mercilessly bludgeon a rat with a steel poker.

Good Things About The Bad Things:
1) I now have a nice jumper to fend off the freezing seaside air.
2) Wielding a steel poker in a potential man-versus-nature showdown left me feeling vital and energised for a good three minutes.

Since the trip I've just been wandering around York learning lots of maths.

Finally, a question about adverts. When did they make Barry Scott camp? Surely he had a hard enough time using someone else's voice to sell pink acid to the general public already, but now the people behind Cillit Bang have put him in marigolds and an apron.

7 Comments:

At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

rich wrote 'Since the trip I've just been wandering around York learning lots of maths.'

that was very amusing!!

 
At 11:42 AM, Blogger Richard said...

It's an ambient experience ... you just walk around soaking up the atmosphere.

 
At 7:43 PM, Blogger Ólafía said...

Gleðilega Páska

 
At 10:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

we're both doomed...
i was watching a film on tv just then and couldn't help thinking about shakespeare's plots (ah, that's the bastard's hatred like in Lear) and characters (oh, this one is a bit like Falstaff) in this robinhood film...

you know what i mean!

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Help! I don't understand...
(If you called me a rat-murdering evildoer then sorry ... but it got away!)

I think I know what you mean wy. Not about Shakespeare, but the thinking too much thing. Yes.

 
At 1:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Since the trip I've just been wandering around York learning lots of maths.' <-- I also found this funny. Perhaps because I imagined you walking around York with mathematics all around you: "... and there's another; that's twelve, TWELVE! Viking graves ah ha ha!"



Todays comment was brought to you by the letters B, J and the number 12.

 
At 5:11 PM, Blogger Ólafía said...

Gleðilegt sumar ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home