Sunday, April 02, 2006

A message from suburban York; My Latest Novel

Help! I'm trapped in suburbia. Not really. I'm back here because things have wound down in Edinburgh and I can get on with work as well here as there. The particular reason for being here is that people have been having birthdays, which is always fun (well, when I remember them ...)

Anyhow, for those of you who don't know, my parents live on Windmill Rise, which has its very own windmill, pictured here. As you can see, there aren't any sails (removed for `safety' some years ago and subsequently lost by the council). Plus, it's pretty decrepit these days. This is a real shame because up until maybe 10 years ago it was fine and dandy, just that in recent times it's really started crumbling and hasn't had any attention from the powers that be. Boo!

Music News: everyone should listen to My Latest Novel, a very fine Glaswegian band with fantastic Glaswegian accents. I guess they sit somewhere between Arcade Fire and Snow Patrol. This could be a bad thing but it's not. You can download some mp3s from their site. Do!

Lots more to say about records, films, DVDs, and elliptic cohomology, but no room right now. Instead, guess what? On tuesday I'll be doing my full uncle's duty and babysitting all day. I'm a bit scared ...

How could I forget this?
Congratulations to Mairi and Simon on the birth of baby Sophie!
(Simon is my cousin...)

7 Comments:

At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks like a house in the moomin valley :D

Maybe there is a moomin troll living in it but
is just at sleep now

 
At 9:41 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Moomintroll must be very tired if he slept through the racket made by the kestrel that moved there a couple of years ago. Nice apron!

Today I went to kiddie Gap to buy something for the new baby. As I was paying (I got a little baby-grow; apparently clothes are useful and she'll probably have more than enough toys already) the lady said "did you get any help while you were shopping?" Did I really look like I didn't have a clue, or is this an example of Canada-style customer service?

 
At 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the lady was hitting on you Richard. She probably
watched you shopping and thought "this man is obviously good with children"

Maybe she is a stalker, is she standing in front of your partents house ?

Who knows

 
At 3:34 PM, Blogger Richard said...

That's a lovely thought, but I'm almost sure she was just assuming I'm an idiot. I don't think she's outside. Maybe she's also a master of disguise...

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger Richard said...

"wearing a double-breasted jacket with the buttons undone looks slovenly."

Thanks to H&M for the advice.

 
At 3:45 AM, Anonymous Clipping Path Service said...


I really enjoyed your blog Thanks for sharing such an informative post.

 
At 6:55 AM, Anonymous David Millar said...


very helpful information, thank you very much this can be very useful for us all.

Background Removal Service

 

Post a Comment

<< Home