Thursday, January 26, 2006

I have output!


I've been trying to formulate a new project for the little course I'll be lecturing sometime soon. I've decided to get the students counting primes and verifying the prime number theorem. Hopefully they'll be able to produce something like this picture.

It's a graph of n against pi(n)/li(n). Why do we care? Well, pi(n) is the number of primes below n and li(n) is the logarithmic integral. The PNT says that these two are asymptotically equivalent, and the graph shows this in action! (See, it gets closer to 1...) Okay, it's not impressive. If it were two stars colliding or a model of Canada being shot off to infinity, I'm sure you'd all be more impressed.

4 Comments:

At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not as nice picture as the ones
Leo let them do but
I do like "asymptotically equivalent".

Why don't you to label the axis ?

P.s.
Did I do as many spelling mistakes as
David normally does ?

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger Richard said...

I couldn'd be arsed with the axes.

No you didn't. Nobody on earth could make that many mistakes. The number of grammatical mistakes made by Dave is asymptotically equivalent to the total number of errors made throughout history. Or perhaps slightly bigger.

 
At 11:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What I always wonder is if David makes similiar mistakes in 'mathy language'? :-)

 
At 5:18 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Well he probably used the word "verify" in the same way that Richard has done in this post. This is normal for applied mathmos though.

*ducks*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home