Friday, December 30, 2005

That funny time between Christmas and New Year

In the lull between Christmas and New Year I've been doing a lot of nothing. I've been reading some maths with a fair amount of success, and watching old Seinfelds that I bought on DVD for half price. Thrilling, eh?

There was a fun visit to Scarborough with some friends. For those of you who don't know, Scarborough is typical British seaside, almost to the point of being a cliche. It was freezing, but that didn't stop us from eating chips on the beach and going for nice walks around. There were even surfers out which, given the temperature and the drenching the sea was giving people on Marine Drive, was very brave. Looking back, we didn't do much, but it was lovely. Photos will appear.

My brother and his family are visiting at the moment, so tonight everyone's walking round on tippytoes trying to avoid waking up my little niece. Who's very cute, if you're one of the few people I haven't told this to a million times. I have yet to break out my secret weapon: a copy of The Gruffalo's Child that I bought in Scarborough (and was teased for). It will earn me much love.

11 Comments:

At 11:47 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Alert!

The new Mogwai single Friend Of The Night can be heard here. You can't know how much this excites me.

 
At 1:05 AM, Blogger impermissible wanyü said...

cool! my friends' bands have their websites too and you can also check them out! they're called 'i am jack' and 'sitting still'

the new song is good! (by mogwai, i mean..)

did they have a song in Welsh?

 
At 1:54 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Yeah, Dial:Revenge off Rock Action had vocals by Gruff out of the Super Furry Animals. I really liked that song by I am Jack that was on your blog today.

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger impermissible wanyü said...

Oh, I'm pleased to hear that! :)

Dial:Revenge is the first song I heard of Mogwai's. Ace!

Because of that song I thought they were Welsh...

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger Eric said...

There is a Scarborough Ontario in Canada. Us Torontonians call it: Scarberia

It is full of kids who parents have too much money and who start gangs which aren't very scary but are still a pest.

It would be one of the places in Toronto I would refuse to life in.

There is definately sea side or chip shops in Scarberia.

Mmmmm... chips with salt and sauce.

That being said, Toronto rocks and I am sad to be returning to edinburgh on tuesday.

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Salt and sauce? In Scarborough? The north of England? No sir! It's salt, vinegar, and scraps. (The latter only if you're pushing the boat out.)

Don't be too sad to be coming back. I promise not to say anything anti-canadian for, ooh, a week.

 
At 6:22 PM, Blogger Ólafía said...

Happy new year...

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

scraps? Watch me as I descend into Yorkshire childhood nostalgia (not to be confused with "Last of the summer wine").

Happy new year!

 
At 1:41 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Happy New Year everybody!

Andrew, you'll soon be entitled to have salt-and-sauce nostalgia too.

Get this for Yorkshire childhood nostalgia: In the BR days there would be mass holidays at the Grand Hotel (run by Butlins) in Scarborough for all of York's railway workers. I can remember my whole family going to several of these when I was a child.

Just to repeat:
1)railways
2)Butlins
3)Scarborough
The experience could only be made more Yorkshire by the addition of a whippet.

 
At 5:46 PM, Blogger impermissible wanyü said...

good to see you again last night lad. although so briefly.

thanks very much for the cd and i hope you have a very good term!

will let you know if i really get a tic to see nick cave in your city...

 
At 5:56 PM, Blogger impermissible wanyü said...

ps. i'm seriously considering whether to go to see death cab for cutie in newcastle...

and i might like to see the strokes too...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home