Saturday, November 26, 2005

Reading Aloud

In How to Write Mathematics the author advocated reading your work aloud to see how it sounds. This morning I gave this my best shot on the penultimate draft of my Teaching Philosophy. (These statements are a requirement of all US universities, and are one of nature's most profound sources of bullshit, codspeak, and piffletalk. I hope mine isn't that bad.)

So anyway, there I was nervously sipping tea and declaring my teaching competence and abilities to the wallpaper. It wasn't as "revelatory" as I had been lead to believe, but it certainly did help: there were three or four points where I just had to stop because it sounded so limp. Hopefully it's a little sparkier now.

Last night I refused to do any work, and at glacial speed read my way through a sizeable chunk of On Beauty, the new novel by Zadie Smith. I really like it so far. One of my favourite features of it is that there are many references to current events (well, mostly the war and Bush) and, more importantly, to popular culture and celebrities. So at one point a character in the distance is talking to `a famous black newscaster', and elsewhere someone on the television asks a contestant `how much of a reserve do you want to put on that?' I actually laughed out loud.

8 Comments:

At 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

PROOFS VERIFIED WITH A COMPUTER.
GINGER BREAD MADE WITHOUT GINGER.

CANNOT COMPUTE.
ARRRRGGGGHHHH!

 
At 5:59 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Ahh "How to write Mathematics" brings back memories. Painful ones and my Masters advisor ripped apart my thesis.

Aren't you done writing your thesis? You should have plenty of practice writing maths.

Canada rules!

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Yeah, I'm done writing that, but there's never a reason to stop trying to improve. Also, I think writing papers is a lot different.

My supervisor never really said anything about my writing, or presentation of results, or whatever, (though I often asked him) and I'm not confident that this is because there's nothing wrong with it.

 
At 6:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always try the surgeon general...

 
At 7:23 PM, Blogger Richard said...

It's the prime option, certainly so come submission time. Sadly, the fact that the paper is about actual manifolds (with specified dimension, for god's sake!) is likely to put him off somewhat.

It's not like he owes me anything, though. The supervisor really does.

 
At 7:25 PM, Blogger Richard said...

PS What do you suppose would make an appropriate Surgeon general's warning?

Something like:

WARNING: Readability may cause concrete applications!

WARNING: May contain knots.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How about:

WARNING: Excessive computations may harm your unborn theorem.

 
At 2:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh for F's sake!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home