Sunday, November 20, 2005

"I'm living in my office," or, "I'm incapable of writing mathematics!" or, "Ach ach ach ach!"

So those rumour-mongering mathematical astronomers have been spreading dirty lies about me. For the single barely-significant reason that I've been wearing the same shirt (but not the same undershirt or anything else, thank you) since tuesday, they're convinced that I've been living in my office.

Well, I have not been living in my office, but it certainly does feel like it. Why? Because I've been working quite a lot -- for example right now; check out the time! -- preparing various things, and in particular trying to write a paper and doing that computation I mentioned. Why why? Because I want to make competent applications for jobs quite soon, and all this should help my chances a bit.

Anyhow, not only does it feel like I've been living in my office, but for the same reason -- lack of time, leading to lack of fresh ironing -- I've been wearing the same shirt for ever and now look like I've been living in my office. Apparently I don't yet smell like I've been living here, but it surely is a matter of time.

So that's it. Busy. Ugly rumours. (I think the astronomers can technically be labelled a `gang'. I expect that they have matching tattoos and a pact (sealed, by starlight, in blood and spit, naturally) of mutual protection and ginger-mockery. They even have a weekly meeting called `astro-tea'. I bet that's a lie. `Astro-tea' must be a substance, not an event! They just sit there getting pie-eyed on star-candy pretending to have a team-building social!)

PS Dave: I'm currently listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor. They're Canadian, you know!

4 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has anyone seen my cereal bowl?

 
At 4:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm gone. In the past. Passe. You dropped the bowl, and now you've failed. You backwards-looking small-c-conservative! Go home and watch Emmerdale and read yesterday's newspaper. Nobody loves you now.

 
At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, as a mathematical astronomer, I could of course "lift the lid" on the drug-fueled session that is astro tea. I won't however as any good mathemagician knows, never to reveal one's secrets!

Richard, I'm glad that you aren't too busy to indulge in your fair share of electronic text based ranting. It always makes for humourous reading. Keep it up Amber-Cranium!

 
At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Spreading lies' my ass. Everytime I see you you are either in your office or on the way to your office. You've even bought a comb-like monstrosity for your office. Now why in God's name would anyone spend money on furniture for a place they don't live at? The evidence is clear. Don't pick on us loveable mathematical astronomers for merely stating the obvious. All we want is to love, be loved and to mock you when you are down... Is that so much to ask??

 

Post a Comment

<< Home