Friday, November 11, 2005

Sigur Ros

Last night I went to a Sigur Ros concert at the Corn Exchange. If you don't know about them, Sigur Ros are an Icelandic band who make long songs that tend to sound like a cross between whalesong and The Lord of the Rings. They're possibly the most affected band on the planet (the singer uses a made-up language; they played the first and last songs behind a gauzey curtain that they projected lots of stuff onto; their last album but one was called () and none of the songs had names), but the music's just so great that you can forgive them.

And it was really good. Mostly it was stuff from the recent record, but they also played three songs from an oldie that sounded better than ever, and they closed with the last track from () which is utterly colossal (you can get it from the page linked above: it's subtitled `the pop song' DO IT).

An honourable mention has to go to the support act, Amina. When they came onstage I was sceptical: four ladies in floaty knitwear looking like they were just SR's string section with a silly name. And the first few things they played got a mixed reception. But then it got much much better, with the silliest instruments known to mankind (well, to be precise, they played a saw, `ring for service' bells that produced different notes, and a phalanx of different wine glasses). I bought their EP from the stall at the back before I left and am looking forward to putting it on.

5 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger jennywren said...

I think Sigur Ros is growing on me... I've discovered that I can actually study and listen to them at the same time (coz I can't really sing along). I'll get your CD's back to you asap... Glad you enjoyed it!

 
At 5:16 PM, Blogger Richard said...

It does take some getting used to I think, but it really is great. Unfortunately Takk is probably their most accessible thing yet! (The previous record is great, but really a bit monolithic.)

Of course you can sing along. It's the best thing to sing along to because you don't have to know the words. (Even if you're Icelandic it doesn't make a bit of sense, according to E.)

 
At 1:25 AM, Blogger impermissible wanyĆ¼ said...

i just got back from their concert in liverpool, but because of the train time, i could only stay until 9:30 so went all the way only to see perhaps 35min of the main show...i have to say they really sing amazingly! all the sounds they made are fabulous!!

but i enjoyed Amina's show as well, so that was ok.. just have to go again next time when sigur ros are touring...glad that you wrote in details about it, having read what you wrote i felt as if i were there till the end...

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Ah Wanyu, that's such a shame! They really did well though, now I feel bad going on about it. Apparently they were on Later With Jools Holland on friday though. Did you see that? If not then maybe you can find a tape or something.

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger impermissible wanyĆ¼ said...

I missed that show as well coz I was too busy chatting with some friends. (next time there's something you think i should watch could you ask jennywren to text me, please) but I did hear about it the next day from a friend...

I asked my blog-readers to come check out what you wrote...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home