Sunday, December 04, 2005

Short Short Stories and The Goblet of Fire


While rummaging through all of the rubbish on my bookshelf I found my copy of Short Short Stories by Dave Eggers. This is one of those little Penguin books you can get for dirt cheap, but it's based on a column that Dave Eggers wrote in the Guardian Magazine for about a year. Like it says, each week he wrote a single very short story. It was utter genius through and through, and made the Saturday Guardian something to truly look forward to (in much the same way as Screen Burn does for me now). Here are some of my favourite short short stories:


About the man uglier and scarier than Ratzinger

We can work it out.

They decide not to have any more death

In the name of fun and relaxation I went to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire yesterday. Ageing being what it is, the child-actors now have troublingly deep voices (well, not Hermione) and, experience being what it is, they can now actually act. So it was enjoyable and fun and rather well-done, I thought. And in response I went home and began reading number 5 (borrowed from V) which is rather good so far. But huge.

4 Comments:

At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE Dave Eggers!!

Aren't those little Penguin books just fab?

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Yes. I got the Zadie Smith one too 'cos I liked On Beauty so much. Will get some more soon I think. I really like having something that I can read quickly, or in bits, like for on the bus or whatever. Usually I just end up printing off loads of McSweeney's bits.

 
At 12:43 AM, Blogger impermissible wanyĆ¼ said...

but i dislike Hermione more and more...

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger Richard said...

I don't dislike Hermione, but the Watson girl is getting noticeably posher. It annoyed me a little bit all the way through.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home