Monday, January 09, 2006

Photos. New Semester.


Depictee-sanctioned Scarborough photos can be seen at the link on the right. This one was taken on the beach after we'd had our chips. The photographer is Wrennyjen, who sat in a little sand hole (presumably dug by a child sometime earlier) to get the very low angle. So dedicated! Despite the obvious sunshine and beautiful blue sky it was bloody freezing.

So today is the first day of the new semester. I've lots to be getting on with, not least preparing for several sets of lectures and doing some lovely new maths. (Hopefully I'll be able to investigate the topology of Joyce's G_2 manifolds. Cool, eg?) Still, I can't quite be arsed to get down to any of it because I'm off to Sheffield for a conference on wednesday and there doesn't seem to be any point me getting my teeth into anything particular.

I finished watching Lost last night. That's the last 12 episodes done and dusted since thursday. Come on, that's impressive! What's in the hatch? Oooo.

12 Comments:

At 6:48 PM, Blogger Eric said...

so you are going to slack till the conference and then slack at the conference?

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Slacking at the conference? I have to have high-powered chats with the great and the good of homotopy theory. And attend lots of talks. Four a day. I won't be slacking! Well, maybe a bit.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheffield. You could visit the winter gardens and erm.... other places! I think there's a good cinema by the station. Lots of nice pubs though. Sorry I missed you in Ed.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bloody auto-complete inserting my surname without asking....

 
At 10:54 PM, Blogger jennywren said...

I'll have you know people that Sheffield is the best city in England!! Yes, Andrew K, the cinema you are referring to is The Showroom and it's great and really cheap too!

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, you like maths...

A riddle





forty + ten + ten = sixty



Each of the character in the above equation represents a digit from 0 to 9. Find out which character is which numerical digit. Note that there is only one solution to this puzzle.



Rewrite the equation in the following way so that you can see it clearer.



f o r t y

t e n

+ t e n

-------------

s i x t y



You can start solving the puzzle now. If you still don't understand the rule of the riddle, keep on reading, and I 'll show you an example.



For example, from the right most side of the equation, we know that



y+n+n=y, or maybe y+n+n=y+10. Hence, we can say that n is either 0 or 5.


(I didn't invent it.. it's from a friend's blog..)

 
At 3:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you don't want to know the solution look away now....

29786 + 850 +850 = 31486 is one solution. There may be others.

 
At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool i'm gonna steal that and tell my other friend that i've got the solution, heyhey, very cheeky of me indeed...

 
At 1:33 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Hands up if you've got too much spare time!

 
At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I'd had too much spare time I'd have proved that the solution is unique.

BTW I think Sheffield is a really nice place. I just couldn't immediately think why. Never been to see a movie at the Showroom but I did spend an hour of my life reading Jane Eyre in the bar whilst waiting for a bus.

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Behold my glory!

(in Sheffield)

 
At 9:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You supercede me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home