Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Sideways: You're a derelict!


If you haven't seen this film then probably you should. It's really funny, also a bit depressing, but very sweet in the end. I just watched the DVD and, being a detail-obsessed geek, watched it again with the commentary by the two leads. This was surprisingly good, they're very funny and the chatter amounted to them both mocking their own characters for the duration of the movie. This, with apologies for the swearing, is my favourite quote (Miles is a wine snob and this is his opinion of a popular wine):

Miles: It tastes like the back of a fucking L.A. school bus. Now they probably didn't de-stem, hoping for some semblance of concentration, crushed it up with leaves and mice, and then wound up with this rancid tar and turpentine bullshit. Fuckin' Raid.
Jack: Tastes pretty good to me.

For wine-related reasons of Toby mockery I actually set this as the hidden message on the computing projects earlier this year, but I had to take out the swearing.

Meanwhile, I jinx myself now by mentioning that I'm going to take part in the Edinburgh 10k run on sunday. Currently I'm sore after today's practice, but I think I'm about up to the right sort of ability. So fingers crossed. Now, according to the advice they sent, I have to start eating lots of carbohydrates to avoid hitting the wall too soon. Hum.

Finally, Newsnight Review update: The Double Life Of Veronique is on at the Filmhouse soon. Adjectives at the ready!

5 Comments:

At 7:21 PM, Blogger Richard said...

ps maybe it's on saturday. We can't decide.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger jennywren said...

i've seen it. it's good.

i'm learning guitar! i had my first lesson on saturday and i'm going to annoy my flatmates and practise now...

just thought you'd like to know!

 
At 8:21 PM, Blogger jennywren said...

ps what about the new flaming lips? i don't like it as much as the yoshimi one!

 
At 4:16 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Steve, you'll need more than just recharged batteries methinks. See you at the finish line...

Jenny, I think I like the new Flips better than Yoshimi, but in general I think they're both very good. I recapitulated on Ballad Of The Broken Seas after being called a fool by you-know-who. I was surprised to see that IC actually wrote all of the tunes; I'd assumed that the feller was responsible for most of it.

Good work on the guitar business. Hope the string's fixed. I think you should just practise as much as you want and don't worry about the flatmates. I think you need to decide on a cool tune that you'll be able to play by a certain time, as a motivatey type of thing. Not that I'd know.

 
At 9:40 PM, Blogger impermissible wanyĆ¼ said...

jenny could already play a couple of tunes before she went to this lesson

 

Post a Comment

<< Home