Friday, March 23, 2007

Oxford!

I was in Oxford earlier this week for the conference launching the new Journal of Topology. The conference was luminous, to say the least. If you don't believe me then look at the programme. With one possible exception the talks were all good. It's just a shame that the attendance was quite low, and in particular very few of Sheffield's Mathematical Elite made it.

Anyway, it was a good few days, except that the sheer pink-bombed floral hideousness of the place where I was staying will haunt my dreams for at least a month; its only merit was that in one corner of the room I could pick up some kindly soul's wireless signal. Yes, wireless theft seems to be a continuing theme of this blog.

I also read (in the five-minutes it takes to read a graphic novel) Fluffy by Simone Lia. This is a book about Fluffy, a bunny who thinks that he's a child, and Michael, his daddy. Sounds mental, but it's very cute, and some of it takes place in Sicily and so reminds me of the time I spent there on holiday a year or two ago. You can borrow it if you like!

Yup. That's it for "news". Well, I think I saw that guy from Drop The Dead Donkey walking down St Giles in Oxford, but it might have been a tramp. The conference has kind-of inspired me to get on with some work! Which is what I'm a avoiding right now by writing this entry ... although there is another motive. Hmmm.

4 Comments:

At 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some good speakers there. However you should not study my failure, that's just wrong.

 
At 11:03 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Poincare Duality, you will be glad to know that your failure is far from serious, and indeed is measured by a long exact sequence. Which is about as much as you could hope for, really.

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah Oxford, the greatest University in Britain. Glad you finally got to visit. The only better place to launch the Journal of Topology would have been a fine liberal arts college.

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Lewis, take him away; he openly flaunts the theft of wireless internet access.

People like you make me sick. We've been on your trail for some time. We would have caught you in Edinburgh if we weren't advised against it, lest the SNP's rise in popularity led to an international incident.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home