Friday, August 17, 2007

Monkey Swallows The Universe

First, let me apologise. I don't have a photo of next door's cat. I'm not certain that it's illegal to sneak a photo of someone else's pet and then put it on the internet next to accusations of murder, but I don't want to risk it. And it would just be weird. However, if I did have a photo of the cat, and I did put it on the internet, and you could see the untrammelled hatred in its eyes, then you would understand.

Earlier this week I went to York briefly to catch the lovely Monkey Swallows The Universe play a little gig at the City Screen Basement Bar. MSTU are an indie band from Sheffield, and are very popular round here because their song Sheffield Shanty mentions lots of local places, like the Arts Tower (opposite my department) and Crookes (where I live). Sorry, this makes them sound like they have just one good song, but in fact they've just released their second album and it's a real blinder. What's more, as far as I can tell, the lead singer -- who also plays guitar and writes the songs -- is a real genius. Follow the link and have a listen!

Meanwhile, I seem to have fallen passionately in love with Sarah Dempster from the Guardian, who writes those little "what's on telly tonight" reviewlets with vicious scorn:

10 Years Younger Summer Special
8pm, Channel 4

In the first of a vexing cluster of seasonal "specials", style mandarin Nicky Hambleton-Jones comes to the rescue of Ruth Howard, a chipper charity manager whose considerable personal achievements are apparently rendered null and irrelevant by the fact that she has a) a gap between her teeth, and b) a stomach that resembles a dead turkey. "You could sweep the floor with my tits!" she hoots, entering into the spirit of buoyant self-evisceration that makes this series so uplifting. While a team of surgeons set about her bits with chisels and sandpaper, Hambleton-Jones offers us such handy tips as "the skin around the eyes is delicate". Invaluable advice for those considering using the area to sand their skirting boards, perhaps. But for everyone else, a spluttering raspberry in the face of human decency.

19 Comments:

At 8:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want you dead

 
At 11:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If the guardian didn't exist, it would be necessary to invent it.

 
At 12:27 AM, Blogger Richard said...

Too right. If there were no Guardian, then what newspaper could have been the employer of that journalist in The Bourne Ultimatum? (Criteria: crusading, earnest, lily-livered.) See the film, by the way.

 
At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Argh, how come you didn't tell me you'd been to the gig??!!!

 
At 1:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Richard check me out, I´m using the thing you gave me ... and the taste is pretty goooooood
Yours
Stefán

under the album Sprelligosi :)

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I want to read more posts! In particular about topology, surgery, whatnots and notlobs!

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's one of Lucy's photos of MSTU, you thief!

 
At 5:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

o broddar, where are thou?

 
At 9:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed. What's happening in the mystical land of Sheffield?

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did the monkey swallow you as well! Since when they like gingery stuff?

 
At 10:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is no ginger here. Indeed, it is a blog most acutely bereft of gingerness.

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No buzz in here.
The gingery author of these pages is gingerly doing other stuff without his aficionado readership. I'll probably head chez the urminskys, at least they know the lingo...

 
At 6:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Richard!!

 
At 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, are you the fiend that disappeared with my wife! Get your hands off her and put them on a keyboard instead. And if you ever get to write a blog post, I will read it with passion.

Or should I call Bismarck?

 
At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The writer of this blog has left. He's enjoying monkey, donkeys and wonkeys of sorts. And he probably has had a duel with Bismarck too.

In the meantime, the Urminsky blog is all fluffy and flowery and flirtatious with its readership. There's something to learn there, somewhere, somehow, sometimes.

I'll spend the rest of the evening with the thought of gingerlessness and the lack of gingerness. Of I could just walk the streets with Quetzalcoatl.

 
At 7:13 PM, Blogger Jack Liddle said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 8:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Come back to us! Delight our days with your wit and carrot facial hair!

 
At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops, I've just dunk my doughnot in my coffee! Or viceversa?

Untopologise me, please!

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I miss this space. I pop back here every now and then, while Yorkshire's wittiest writer is not... I'm disgruntled, and still hoping for updates. Topology is going to go out of fashion without you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home