Thursday, July 05, 2007

The New Internationalist

That's me. How has this transformation occurred? Well, point one, a few weeks ago I was in beautiful Lille for an exciting maths summer school. This was surprisingly good fun ... the people were sociable, the maths was accessible, and the town was beautiful. Most amusing was the sheer excitement of one of the american participants when he found a hedgehog in the university grouds. Apparently you don't get hedgehogs in the states (and porcupines, armadillos, grizzly bears and mountain lions apparently don't cut the mustard), so this was a cause of much excitement. Doesn't mean that they had to trap it in a cardboard box though!

Point two, tomorrow I will visit Iceland to spend some time with the neeps and do other exploring. I hope to see puffins, alive or cooked, glaciers, volcanoes, geysirs, dried fish, rotten shark, oh, and to meet lots of nice people. Probably I will spend my time wandering around Reykjavik getting lost, but even that will be good fun.

I have therefore armed myself with some travel sickness pills to combat my aversion to air travel, which, last time I tried it, left me a pale sweaty wreck with no desire ever to leave the country again. This is why I Eurostarred to Lille! Feel free to browse my beautiful new article. Besides this, television and DVD and running for fun are my current masters, particularly Big Brother (do I hate Charley?) and The Shield and Lodge Lane.

3 Comments:

At 8:09 PM, Blogger Ólafía said...

Can't wait to see you here in the North.
xxxx
island girl ;)

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Catriona said...

How can anyone not hate Charley???

 
At 7:53 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Well, it's hard to say, isn't it? I mean she's obviously a nightmare and I'd manage about two minutes before having to storm out. On the other hand it doesn't seem like she can actually help it, so maybe it's mean to blame her.

Who knows?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home